Catholic Priest is What? A Pharisee?—’Jesus was not God’: Priest sparks Catholic controversy

Oct 30 2008

Here at s8int.com, we are neither Catholic nor Protestant, but Christians only. As Catholic priests go, this guy is obviously a nut of some kind. However, even when condemning him, the Catholic church takes the position that the divinity of Christ was settled at a council in 325 A.D.!

Sorry, that matter was settled long before that by the Lord Himself when among other things He said;
“I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.” John 8:24

Jesus Christ was not God, and Mary was not a virgin, according to a controversial new book written by an Australian Catholic priest.

In the booklet, ‘God is Big. Real Big’, which has gone on sale for $20 in several churches, Bathurst priest Peter Dresser argues Jesus could not have been God.

“This whole matter regarding Jesus being God … not only does violence to my own intelligence, but must be a sticking point,” he says.

“For millions of people trying to make some kind of sense of the Christian religion … No human being can ever be God, and Jesus was a human being. It is as simple as that.”

Father Dresser claims Joseph was Jesus’s father, Mary was not a virgin – and actually had six children – and that the story of the resurrection should not be taken literally.

The booklet has angered conservative Catholics, such as Sydney priest Anthony Robbie.

“What a breathtaking know-all, to claim he knows the mind of Christ contrary to scripture and tradition. His words rob Christianity entirely of its meaning and purpose,” Father Robbie told News Ltd.

“The Council of Nicaea settled the question that Christ was God in 325, so he is 1700 years out of date.

“The rest is a regurgitation of every discredited 19th-century liberal Protestant German cliche in the book.”

1. RedTigerOH says:

This guy is certainly not a Christian. The Deity of Christ is a fundamental building block of the Christian faith. I’m a Bible believing, born again Christian and this honestly doesn’t shock me. I love my Church and true believers, but I am repulsed often by religion. In order to keep from offending many people I will cut my comments short, but how anyone could claim true faith and yet have beliefs that contradict even the basic precepts of the faith is beyond me.

Peace,
    RedTigerOH

2. Aram says:

That a human cannot be God is true. But will anyone hold that the omnipotent Creator who spoke Universe into being can’t become a man or anything else He likes should He so choose? Clearly this priest is no Christian but a skulking spreader of lies and illogic lying in wait to destroy the faith of the weaker among us.

3. Juan A Gonzalez says:

Please read your Bible people. Jesus was NOT GOD. He said so himself on many occasions(Mark 10:17,18)(Matthew 20:23,23). Another thing God cannot be killed or die. He cannot be human because this would make him equal to us or Adam the first man who for a time was without sin. Philippians 2:4-12.

Juan,

It’s always interesting when a non-Christian tries to explain scripture to Christians. No matter what a person calls himself, he is not a Christian if he doesn’t understand that Jesus is/was the Son of God and a son is akin to His father. Don’t you know about John 1:1: In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God?…

It was the Lord’s confession that he Was the Christ, the Son of the Living God that was the last straw and used as a basis for his execution;

Matt 26: The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.”

64″Yes, it is as you say,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”

65Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. 66What do you think?”
    “He is worthy of death,” they answered.

In Acts chapter 20 the scripture says that God shed His Blood for the Church. Do I need to explain to you that it was not God the Father but God the Son who shed his blood for the Church?

Acts 20:28
    Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood….

John 1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.

As to the scripture you left in Phil chapter 2. Go back and read the who letter, Juan. The point was not as you suppose that he was not God but that He was willing togive up is rightful place, his divinity and be born as a man…

take care

5. Yosemite1967 says:

Both the Old Testament and the New Testament clearly teach that the Messiah, or the Christ (Jesus), is the Son of God, or God the Son, who would fulfil, or did fulfil, the will of God the Father, by taking upon him flesh and dwelling among the sons of men.

Please bear with me, as I share with you all yet another witness to that fact, from about 148 B.C.:

“I would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shell redeem his people. And because he dwelleth in flesh he shall be called the Son of God, and having subjected the flesh to the will of the Father, being the Father and the Son–the Father, because he was conceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son–And they are one god, yea, the very Eternal Father of heaven and of earth.

“And thus the flesh becoming subject to the Spirit, or the Son to the Father, being one God, suffereth temptation, and yieldeth not to the temptation, but suffereth himself to be mocked, and scourged, and cast out, and disowned by his people.

“And after all this, after working many mighty miracles among the children of men, he shall be led…crucified, and slain, the flesh becoming subject even unto death, the will of the Son being swallowed up in the will of the Father.”

“And thus God breaketh the bands of death, having gained the victory over death; giving the Son power to make intercession for the children of men–Having ascended into heaven, having the bowels of mercy, being filled with compassion towards the children of men; standing betwixt them and justice; having broken the bands of death; taken upon himself their iniquity and their transgressions, having redeemed them, and satisfied the demands of justice…”

“…whosoever has heard the words of the prophets…all those who have hearkened unto their words, and believed that the Lord would redeem his people, and have looked forward to that day for a remission of their sins, I say unto you, that these are his seed, or they are the heirs of the kingdom of God. For these are they whose sins he has borne…”

Yosemite,

Who were you quoting?

Juan et al., don’t miss the point; This is “man bites dog”.The fact that non-believers don’t believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God is expected and neither here nor there..

The point is, this man is supposed to be a man of God who is denying the central truth of Christianity that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son…

7. Brad Miller says:

As a former catholic, I can say the the whole catholic institution is from the pit of Hell. Poor catholics are going to Hell by the millions every year. They need to be told the truth from the Bible.

8. Fionn says:

Brad Miller, I’m afraid you’ve never been a Catholic. The Vatican II Counter-Church and the Anti-popes John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul I, John Paul II, and the current anti-pope Benedict XVI all taught heresy and liberalized real Catholic doctrine. The Catholic Church is not ‘from hell’, the Vatican II Counter-Church of the 1960′s is.

9. Brad Miller says:

Well If you think I was not a catholic, then what religion was I in for 25 yrs? What church was I an altar boy in for 13 yrs. What seminary did I go to to study catholicism? Don’t bother with a reply, you are to far gone to even think straight.

10. Chris Gallant says:

Correction needed:

In your comment you said the question of Christ’s divinity was settled in 325 BC. Should be 325 AD.

People:

If man is made in the image of God, and Jesus was not God – then are we made in the image of God the Father? No, He is Spirit. It only makes sense that we were created in the Image of the Son, and by the Son – as all things were made by Him and for Him.

And who walked in the Garden with Adam – God the Father? No.

And all the Old Testament appearances of God – Were they God the Father? Did God the Father wrestle with Jacob?

Think about it…

Keep up the great work here at S8int!

Thanks, Chris G. Made the correction