Song Dynasty (China, 960-1279 A.D.)Ceratopsian?

Apr 26 2006

Ceratopsians were supposed to have died out millions of years ago, but from the number we have found in ancient art as shown on these pages, they were around much more recently than that.

Does this look like a ceratopsian dinosaur? We think so, but make up your own mind.

テつ

テつ

“Charles Lang Freer bought this sculpture in 1913 with complete confidence in the inscribed date of 1091.

A decade later, the Freer Gallery’s first director, John Ellerton Lodge, mused that the piece seemed “crude and not so early.”

In the 1960s the sculpture was reevaluated and the date of 1091 was confirmed by relating the sculpture to similar works in Chinese and foreign collections”. Smithsonian Freer Gallery..

Click Here to Read Article

1. Ron says:

Sorry guys, but this looks more like a lion. Consider the snout of this creature, as well as the “hair” on the legs. The hood is acually the mane. The pictures in the main section only highlight the diffrences. Why does every creature on a peice of pottery have to be a “Dragon/dinosaur”. Look at the detial on the hide of this animal. The Artisit may have been indicating stripes. Look up Pantera Leo Atrox and see what you find. Try Beringa.com first. There may be species of lion that we think are extinct, but have survived as well. Go to ADN.com. That’s the Anchorage Daily News web sight. Search for an article called, “CAT”S OUT OF THE BAG ON THE KENAI” It appeared July 27, 1995 written by Tom Kizzia. Also seach for, “FAMILY CANOE TRIP TURNS UP ONE HECK OF A CAT”, OCT 26, 1995 written by Linda Billington.

Ron,

We have not had a chance to visit the Anchorage Daily News site as yet, however, you could be right. That’s why we have a “question mark” after the word ceratopsian. We’ve always left it to the reader to make his/her own decision about the information on the site.

Are we to assume that this is the only one you’re quibbling with?

s8int.com

3. Ron says:

I really don’t want you to think that I’m “quibbling”. I do enjoy your web sight and I am refreashed by your view point on creation. Plus, I have been coming to your sight for over a year and haven’t taken an issue with any of the ideas that you put forth. With that said, I still say that we shouldn’t suggest that every unexplained creature on an artifact, be that of a reptile. In fact there are species mammals that we think are extinct, but still survive to this day. I saw the “question mark”, and saw that as my chance to share with you my knowledge on the subject. Relax, I’m freindly.

4. Ron says:

Ooops!! I can’t spell to save may life! The web address should be Beringia.com. That will have the info on Pantera Leo Atrox to get you started.

5. Ron says:

Reading my messages over again I see another spelling error, that I’m sure has wrecked havoc on your readers. It should be panthera leo atrox. Pantera will get a heavy metal band but not the lion I’m talking about. I’m sorry for any confusion that it’s caused. Also I have hard copies I can mail to you guys at s8int.com, of those articles I suggested to readers.

6. Ron says:

No worries! Still freinds. Keep up the good work. Just food for thought.